Here's what you need to know about Pass/No Pass grading at De Anza.

How to Request Pass/No Pass 

During registration

During registration, you may choose the Pass/No Pass option online.

  1. Log in to MyPortal.
  2. Open the Student Registration app.
  3. Click on the "Add or Drop Classes" link to get to the class term.
  4. Find the class in your Current Schedule and select Pass/No Pass under the Grade Mode column.

Once you select and submit the request for Pass/No Pass grading, this action cannot be reversed.

If you experience a problem with the online Pass/No Pass request, you may submit the completed Pass/No Pass form to the Admissions and Records office before the deadline for that term. You'll find the form on our Admissions and Records Student Forms webpage.

After classes begin

You may select Pass/No Pass grading provided you submit your request before 30% of the quarter has elapsed. The deadline for each quarter is listed on the Academic Calendar.

To select Pass/No Pass after classes have begun

  • Go to MyPortalopen the Apps page and click on the "AdobeSign Student Forms" icon – then look under "Student Webforms" and select "De Anza Pass/No Pass."
  • Follow the instructions to submit the online form. 

Once you submit the request for Pass/No Pass grading, this action cannot be reversed.

Note: The standard rules and deadlines for requesting Pass/No Pass, as described on this webpage, have resumed as of the 2020 fall quarter. Temporary rules and deadlines that were announced for winter, spring and summer of 2020 are no longer in effect.


  • If you request the Pass/No Pass option online, this action cannot be reversed
  • Some transfer institutions will not accept Pass/No Pass grades.
  • Under state regulations, De Anza cannot change a Pass/No Pass grade to a letter grade.

Important Considerations

  • Some transfer universities will not accept Pass grades for credit or major requirements.
    • You should check with your transfer school to find out how they will treat your courses.
    • While the California State University (CSU) system has adopted consistent rules for all campuses, policies still vary at private universities and at individual campuses and schools within the University of California (UC) system.
    • Graduate and professional schools – such as medical, dental or law programs – may not accept Pass grades for admission.
    • Some transfer universities may count a Pass grade as equivalent to a 2.0 when doing their own calculation of your GPA.
  • If you receive a Pass grade, you will not be allowed to take this course again.
    • If you receive a grade of No Pass, you can take the course again, subject to the usual rules that allow students to enroll in a course no more than three times.
  • A grade of No Pass means you did not complete the course.
    • This means a course will not count for transfer credit.
    • It also could affect your eligibility for financial aid or veteran’s benefits, which require you to show a minimum rate of progress each quarter. If you have questions about this, you can check with the Financial Aid or Veteran Services offices.
    • Pass/No Pass grades are not used to calculate grade point averages. However, a grade of No Pass can be considered in probation and dismissal procedures. You can learn more by reading about the college policy on Progress Probation.
  • Once you request the Pass/No Pass option, the change is final and you cannot go back to a letter grade for that course.

If you have any questions, check with your counselor before submitting your request.

Additional Rules for Pass/No Pass Grading

De Anza offers Pass/No Pass grading for a number of courses, as authorized by California law (Title 5) and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District board of trustees.

  • Some courses are designated in the catalog as Pass/No Pass (P/NP) courses. In those courses, a letter grade is not available. Among these classes are those with a “single satisfactory standard of performance for which unit credit is assigned.” (See Section 51302 of Title 5.)
  • For other courses, you may select the Pass/No Pass option instead of a letter grade. The deadline to request Pass/No Pass for courses taken in the 2020 spring quarter or 2020 summer session has been extended to Sept. 9. (Ordinarily, you must select that option no later than the fourth week of a standard 12-week course, or no later than one third into the duration of a course that is less than 12 weeks.)
  • You may not apply more than 30 units of credit earned with a Pass grade toward an Associate in Arts degree.
  • In most cases, you may not apply a Pass grade toward your major requirements, unless your major division lists a Pass/No Pass course on its curriculum sheets.
Back to Top