Computer Access Lab (CAL)Hardware And Software
Tools for students who have learning or cognitive disabilities
- Kurzweil 3000: This program scans textbooks, other print material, or web pages and then reads them back to you. A dictionary can help you find the meaning of words you don't understand. You can also store the audio on tape or disk.
- TextHelp Read & Write: This is similar to Kurzweil 3000, but works from within Microsoft Word and your browser. Use it for help with reading and writing.
- TextAloud MP3: This program converts text to speech and can save it in MP 3 format so you can listen on a CD player that plays MP 3 files.
- Skills Bank: Helps you practice and improve reading,writing, basic math and language skills.
- Inspiration: Helps you organize writing tasks by using pictures and graphics to develop the outline and organization of your topic.
- OMTI: Rogers Multisensory Reading, Spelling and Penmanship - A multimedia program that strengthens basic reading and writing skills
Tools for students who have physical disabilities
- DragonNaturally Speaking: If you have difficulties using your hands, this program writes what you say when you dictate aloud to the computer.
- MathTalk: This application allows you to speak math symbols and solve equations while using DragonNaturally Speaking.
- Tracker: If you cannot manipulate a mouse device, this hands-free mouse lets you move your head to move the cursor on the computer screen.
- Screendoor: Instead of pushing keys on the keyboard, point and click on a picture of a keyboard on your computer screen.
- WISP: Used in conjunction with Tracker, this program uses your breath to replace a mouse click. With these two programs, you have totally hands-free access to the computer.
Tools for students who are blind or visually impaired
- Talking Typer: Teaches you keyboarding skills through auditory prompts and feedback.
- Jaws: If you can't see the computer screen well enough to read it, this program will speak and describe what is on the screen.
- Jawbone: A program that enables you to use DragonNaturally Speaking in conjunction with JAWS.
- ZoomText: If you need larger print on the computer screen in order to read it, this application enlarges everything from two to sixteen times.
- Closed Circuit TV: The Optelec system enlarges print materials on the computer screen and also allows you to split the screen to use computer programs and read enlarged text side-by-side.