Learning Center West

Learning Disabilities Support

How to Apply for EDC Services


Who is eligible to Use the Educational Diagnostic Center?

  1. Be registered as a De Anza College student and obtain your College Wide Identification (CWID) number
  2. Have a learning disability that results in an educational limitation (see documentation at bottom of page)
  3. Meet with an EDC counselor to establish a Student Educational Contract

New and Returning Students
  1. Complete and submit the online DSPS Application for Services
  2. A DSPS Staff member will contact you to set up an appointment with a DSPS Counselor
Information for DSS and EDC students about taking placement tests


If you are unsure about whether you should take Placement Tests or if you will need accommodations to do so, discuss this with your DSS or EDC Counselor.

Continuing Students
  1. Contact EDC to set up an appointment with your EDC Counselor to discuss any changes or additions to your services.
  2. It is recommended EDC students at least check in with EDC sometime during the first three weeks of each quarter.

Educational Diagnostic Center services are provided to students who have learning disabilities that have been documented by

  • an outside professional who is qualified to diagnose learning disabilities and completed within the three last years.
  • documentation from another college with an indication of a specific learning disability.
  • a high school Individual Education Plan within the past three years, including the most recent testing report from the school psychologist.
  • a learning disability assessment at De Anza's Educational Diagnostic Center.
Students who have completed an assessment should provide a copy to EDC.

The EDC can provide an assessment for enrolled De Anza College students who have never been identified or diagnosed in order to establish their eligibility for EDC services and appropriate accommodations for college.

A comprehensive standardized evaluation by a trained professional is necessary to qualify a student for accommodations and EDC services.  An evaluation:

  • assesses the specific learning differences involved and
  • determines whether the learning problems result from a learning disability or from other possible causes.
Documentation from high schools should include both the student's IEP or 504 plan and the psychological report.

A psychological report documenting the disability should include:

  • Cognitive ability test standard scores (usually the WAIS III/IV or WJ III).
  • Achievement test standard scores (usually the WIAT II or WJ III).
  • Educational limitations
  • Recommended accommodations and services



row of silhouettes of people with disabilities


Educational Diagnostic Center
Building: RSS 141
Contact: Kim Fukuyama
Phone: 408.864.8838 sizeplaceholder

Last Updated: 9/24/15