- Be aware of all the marked exits from your area and building.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded or when you are ordered to leave by the Police/college staff, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- Make sure all students have evacuated the classroom/labs.
- Assist the disabled in exiting the building and escort them to PE13 if safe to do so or unless otherwise directed (see Assisting Students with Disabilities guidelines on this page below).
- To the best of your ability, and without re-entering the building, assist the Police/college staff in their attempt to determine that everyone has evacuated.
- Once outside, proceed to the football field (outdoor arena) if safe to do so or unless otherwise directed. Keep walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
- Do not return to a building until told to do so.
Where to Pick Up Students
- Disabled Students
- In an evacuation, VTA paratransit should use the Peppertree (east) entrance to pick up disabled students from PE 13 unless otherwise directed.
- Parking Lot D, near the Kirsch Center, has been designated as the student pickup area. People picking up students other than disabled students should use the McClellan entrance to get to Parking Lot D.
Assisting Students with Disabilities
To Assist Visually Impaired Persons
To Assist Hearing Impaired Persons
- Explain the nature of the emergency. Alarms or confusion may disorient a person, even when normally familiar with the area.
- Guide the student (or provide someone to do so). Students will take the guide's arm below the elbow and will follow.
- Tell the student where you are as you walk.
- Advise of any obstacles in the path.
- When you have reached safety: Orient the person to where he or she is and ask if any further assistance is needed before leaving.
If you must get a person's attention:
To Assist Mobility Impaired Persons
- Flash room lights.
- Wave your arms.
- Tap person's shoulder.
- Gesture what is happening and what to do.
- Write on board or paper: Nature of emergency & evacuation route.
- Always ask students first if they have special needs or requirements.
- Individuals using wheelchairs can be pushed or accompanied to safety.
- Individuals using canes, crutches, or walkers should evacuate themselves except in the event that rapid evacuation is deemed essential.
- Call the Building Monitor, Security, Disability Support Services or other trained college personnel and wait for help before transferring a person from a wheelchair or transporting a person on a stairway, unless the situation is imminently life threatening.
- Wheelchairs for emergency use are located in PE 13 and Health Services.
- Special evacuation chairs may be used for stairway evacuation or to transport injured or non-ambulatory persons. These are mounted near the stairwells in:
Currently located at:
- A1 Chair located at bottom of stair well (use 44D key to unlock)
- ATC Chair located 2nd floor on right wall. (use 44D key to unlock)
- Baldwin Winery Chair located at bottom of stair well (use 44D key to unlock)
Kirsch Center Chair located in division office on left
Library Chair located 2nd floor by main elevator (use 44D key to unlock)
LCW Chair located at bottom of stair well (use 44D key to unlock)
Science Center 2 Chair located 2nd floor near passenger elevator (use 44D key to unlock)
Student Services Chair located 2nd floor on wall outside conf. room (use 44D key to unlock)
PE Two chairs mounted on wall next to shed on pool deck (use 44D key to unlock)
VPAC Chair located on 2nd floor by main elevator (use 44D key to unlock)
PE 11 Chair located on 2nd floor by main elevator (use 44D key to unlock)
• Media Learning Center (2)
Review video link for usage instructions: http://www.evacuation.stryker.com/admin/video/id/271/
You can check out In-service DVD from Mary Sullivan, Health Service (408-864-8733)
Remember - instructions are illustrated on back of each evacuation chair.