How You Can Help
The question is one of fighting the causes and not just being satisfied with getting rid of the effects.
– Che Guevara, revolutionary, 1928-1967
The Equity Office is not able to meet the demands of the campus and the critical charge of the office, without the supportive guidance and commitment of the Equity Advisory Council (formally, Diversity Advisory Council). This Council, under the direction of Edmundo Norte, Dean of Intercultural/International Studies, helps meet the goals and objectives of The Equity Office and in particular, the development and implementation of policies and procedures that are in line with our vision of equity, social justice, and multicultural education.
The charge of the Equity Advisory Council is to
- Promote a climate of respect and appreciation for diversity and inclusiveness in all aspects of the college.
- Advise on diversity and affirmative action issues to the college shared governance groups.
- Advocate for the development and implementation of policies and procedures that will facilitate the success of our diverse student body. Specifically, the committee will work to identify existing or emerging equal opportunity and equity issues, advising College leadership in the development of responsive policies, and analyzing and recommending action based on relevant research studies and position papers.
- Advise on and actively promote the development and implementation of policies, procedures and a staff development plan that will facilitate the transformation of our workforce and environment into a community that is more inclusive, socially just, knowledgeable about the diverse array of cultures which comprise our community, and skilled in facilitating the growth of our entire campus.
- Assist with the development of a campuswide assessment (Campus Climate Survey) every three to five years to assess the diversity issues on our campus. In the past, the Equity Office has then initiated activities in response to survey findings, such as establishing the position of Curriculum Development Specialist, and will continue to do so moving forward with the shared guidance of the committee.
- Support the Equity Office in assessing the achievement of the specific goals of the campus' multicultural plan and putting next steps forward.
If you are interested in joining the Equity Advisory Council, please contact:
Veronica A. K. Neal
No one has yet fully realized the wealth of sympathy, kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure.
The ultimate end of all revolutionary social change is to establish the sanctity of human life, the dignity of man, the right of every human being to liberty and well-being.
– Emma Goldman, lecturer and activisit, 1868-1940