Nurs 84L Medical-Surgical Nursing II: Care of the Older Adult Clinical
"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us." ~ Marcel Proust
- Mondays/Tuesdays, 6:30am - 2:30pm at both sites
- Locations: El Camino Hospital (Mountain View campus) and O'Connor Hospital, San Jose. Students will be assigned to one site for the entire quarter. Each location has a mandatory orientation. Students must attend all orientation days in their entirety.
- 5 Units
- Lead Instructor email: email@example.com
- O'Connor instructors: Jamie Bielski (1st 6 weeks) and Jessie Smolin (last 6 weeks)
- Instructor phone numbers - best contact number and emails for clinical instructors will be given on first orientation day.
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BEING AWARE OF AND KNOWING ALL PAGES AND INFORMATION ON THIS SITE! Consult with Lead Instructor in a timely manner for any questions you may have.
Open invitation to all students!
Students are invited to attend and participate in all monthly department faculty meetings, and regularly scheduled department Curriculum and Policy committee meetings. We welcome your input and ideas! See instructor for more information.
Clinical Sites, orientation, and rotation information
CLICK HERE for Information for incoming Q4 students - includes mandatory pre-work directions, orientation info, important reminders! Read early - prior to Week 6 of Quarter 3! Then read again prior to start of Quarter 4!!
- Re-read this document (above) prior to entering Q4. It contains instructions about your orientation
- You will need a Quantiferon Gold test completed during Week 7 of Quarter 3
- For more information about all required health documentation, click HERE
- Do your 2nd year background check/drug screening 2 to 3 weeks prior to your Q4 start date. See Nursing Student Handbook for information about this.
- Turn in a set of copies of all health and/or CPR updates to Marge specifically for the Nursing Department (i.e., OCH students need to give one set for OCH, and one set to Marge).
- El Camino Hospital, Mountain View
- Required paperwork for ECH- complete and submit to Marge by noon on Thursday of Week 8 of your third quarter, following directions in the "Information for Incoming Q4 students" link above. PRINT your name legibly on EACH page. STAPLE the following forms to turn in, in THIS order: Life Safety checklist (3 pages), ALL pages of the Confidentiality Statement, and the Corporate Compliance form. Do NOT turn in copies of any immunizations, CPR, background check or drug testing documentation!
- Meds routine at ECH - read before your ECH orientation
- Scavenger Hunt - ECH - bring to orientation with you
- O'Connor Hospital, San Jose
- Required paperwork/training for OCH- complete and submit to Marge by noon on Thursday of Week 8 of THIRD QUARTER, following directions below and in the "Information for Incoming Q4 students" link above.
- Welcome letter- read carefully and complete ALL online ReadySet health surveys (not just the flu one). Print a screen shot of the completion page showing your name and that ALL surveys have been completed. You will need a hard copy of ALL immunizations/Quantiferons and CPR to submit to instructor. Staple the screen shot page to the top of your copies, and submit to Marge by noon on Thursday of Week 8 of your third Quarter. Do NOT include any background check or drug testing documentation!
- You need a 2nd year Quantiferon, completed before you submit your paperwork.
- Please note: ALL vaccinations/titers/QFT's, etc. MUST include the letterhead or official name/address of the agency who performed it. You handwriting it on your page is NOT sufficient!
- Another "please note:" You also MUST submit a second copy of all health updates to Marge for the Nursing Program. Copies submitted with the OCH ReadySet screenshot go directly to the hospital, and are not recorded by our nursing department.
- Orientation packet - read all pages, then complete post-test.
- Orientation post-test - complete and submit by noon on Thursday of Week 8 of your third Quarter. Do NOT copy back to back or staple together! Paper clip these pages to the front of your packet. Do NOT staple to health data!
- Emergency contact information - type, on a separate page, the name and phone number of the person you wish us to contact in the event of an emergency. Paper clip this to your packet. Do NOT staple to anything.
- Security Badge request form - Do NOT turn in! Complete and bring to OCH on orientation day
- Parking sticker request form - Do NOT turn in! Complete and bring to OCH on orientation day
- Parking Map - information only
- Scavenger Hunt - OCH - bring to orientation with you
All items below will ALSO be on the Catalyst site. A student can use EITHER site to obtain templates, requirements, and/or tips for completing assignments. Examples of assignments, however, will only be on Catalyst.
See Catalyst for examples of acceptable paperwork and Nurses Notes (may also be found in a binder in the Resource Room). A complete assignment must have all required components submitted on the due date. Due dates will be assigned by each clinical instructor within the first two weeks of the rotation. Be sure to include BOTH grading rubrics on all written assignments.
Other important information