Summary of America is in the Heart
Due Tuesday, February 4
400-500 words, typed, double-spaced, and stapled.
For this assignment you will write a summary with very specific requirements. These requirements are very important for my evaluation of your summary.
Here are the steps for writing your summary:
- Select a short passage (no more than 1/4 page) from either Part Two or Part Three of America is in the Heart.
- Briefly contextualize the passage and explain why the passage is important for the development of the novel and its depiction of social problems within the US during the 1930s.
- Explain how the action in the passage developed from the beginning of the novel.
- Explain how the action is related to the conclusion of the novel and explain how the action is related to the concluding standpoint of the narrator.
It is likely that your summary will consist of a block quotation for the short passage followed by three paragraphs, one for steps 2, 3, and 4.
The following errors will result in a reduction of your grade:
1. Not following the requirements. For example, your grade will be reduced if you tell the story from beginning to end.
2. Plagiarism (I will not give you credit, but you can rewrite the assignment for credit).
3. Factual errors and misrepresentation of events in the novel.