Lecture Notes and Overheads
To view these notes, you'll need Adobe Reader. You can download this program for free
The 'companion website' for the Cahn book, containing flashcards, self-tests, and other valuable resources, can be found here.
The following links offer supplemental notes that I have written for readings covered in current and past versions of the course.
- Arguments, Validity, and Soundness
- Reductio Ad Absurdum Arguments
- Cultural Relativism
- Plato, "The Myth of Gyges"
- Nietzsche, "Master Morality and Slave Morality"
- Rachels on Psychological Egoism
- Plato's "Euthyphro"
- Mill and Utilitarianism
- Pojman on Utilitarianism
- Kant and Deontology
- Susan Wolf, "Moral Saints"
- Rachels and Sullivan on Euthanasia
- Hazlett on Possible Evils