Video: What is a federal work-study job?

Student Jobs

More information below

Federal Work-Study Program

This program uses federal funds to provide eligible students with up to 19 hours a week of paid employment. You must use the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to apply for this program.

Your application will be used to calculate an “Expected Family Contribution” or EFC. You may be offered a work-study award if your EFC is $3,500 or less. You must come to the Financial Aid Office to let us know if you are either interested in a work study position or have been offered a position on campus.

Apply early, because there are only a limited number of positions.

While you are in this program, you must be taking at least six units and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress as described on our Maintaining Eligibility webpage.

District-Funded Student Jobs

The Foothill-De Anza district also employs students in some positions that aren’t funded by Federal Work-Study. You can find out about these jobs at the Financial Aid Office. You can also look around campus: Departments and programs will often post signs when they have jobs available for students.

Employment is most often available in the following areas:

Students employed by the district must be enrolled in at least 12 units while they are working and complete at least 12 units to qualify for continued employment. (Students working in positions funded by CalWORKS must take at least six units.) In addition, you must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 and have attempted fewer than 180 units at De Anza and/or Foothill College.

Student Pay Levels (effective July 1st, 2020) and Positions

Student workers – in both federal work-study and district-funded jobs – are paid at four levels, depending upon job descriptions and length of employment

  • Entry Level: $15.35 - $15.75

  • Intermediate Level: $16.00- $16.75

  • Specialist Level: $17.00- $17.75

  • Technical Level: $18.00- $18.75

Student jobs – both federal work-study and district-funded – fall into these categories

  • Accounting/Cashiering Assistants

  • Clerical Assistants

  • General Assistant

  • Instructional Assistants

  • Lab Assistants

  • Peer Assistants

  • Physical Education Assistants

  • Security Assistants

  • Technical Assistants

Note: You will be required to bring in your Social Security Card as part of the employment process.

Student Employment Packet

Once you have been offered and accepted a position, you must fill out this form and submit it, along with the documents specified on the form, before you can begin working.

  • Download the student employment packet

Online Time Sheets

Student workers must use the online time sheets on MyPortal.

You must record your hours worked each day, using the time sheet. Then submit the time sheet for approval at the end of each month  no later than the last work day of the month. You should check online to make sure the time sheet has been approved or returned for corrections.

You may also use MyPortal to set up direct deposit for your pay.

Terms and Conditions

Please note: Each type of financial aid has important terms and conditions that you must follow. See this page for details.


Back to Top