Equity Action Council
Get involved! With the guidance and commitment of the Equity Action Council (formerly the Diversity Action Council), the Equity Office strives to meet the demands of the campus and the critical charge of the office.
Call for Student Art Submissions for Equity Action Logo! $$$ PRIZE!
Co-Chairs and Council President Planning Meetings Full Council Meetings: Wednesday 3:30 – 4:30 MCC; 2nd & 4th Wednesdays Monday: MCC; 2nd & 4th Wed. 3-5:00
Mission: The Council helps facilitate campus wide development and support, engagement, implementation of programs, evaluations, policies and procedures that are in line with De Anza College's vision of equity, social justice, and multicultural education. The Council, under the direction of Edmundo Norte, Dean of Intercultural/International Studies, and Veronica Neal, Director of Equity, Social Justice and Multicultural Education helps meet the goals and objectives of equity at De Anza and in particular, the Equity Office.
The charge of the Equity Advisory Council is to:
- Promote a climate of humility, equity, and appreciation for diversity and inclusiveness in all aspects of the college.
- Supports the work of the equity work
- Advise on equity and inclusion issues to the college shared governance groups.
- Assist with the development of a campus wide assessment (Campus Climate Survey) every 3 to 5 years to assess the equity issues on our campus. In the past, the Equity Office has then initiated activities in response to survey findings, such as establishing the position of Curriculum Development Specialist and will continue to do so moving forward with the shared guidance of the Committee.
- Advocate for the development and implementation of policies and procedures that will facilitate the success of our diverse student body, faculty and staff. Specifically, the committee will work to identify existing or emerging equal opportunity and equity issues, advising College leadership in the development of responsive policies, and analyzing and recommending action based on relevant research studies and position papers.
- Advise on and actively promote the development and implementation of policies, procedures and a staff development plan that will facilitate the transformation of our workforce and environment into a community that is more inclusive, socially just, knowledgeable about the diverse array of cultures which comprise our community, and skilled in facilitating the growth of our entire campus.
- Recommended Critical Work Groups:
- Research and Evaluation
- Student Equity
- Educational Programs
- Equity Council Internal Training and Development
- Campus Policies and Procedures
EQUITY COUNCIL Membership:
Chairs (2) Faculty and administrator
Ex Officio (1) Is this Brian or Liaison from Senior Staff?
Administrators (4) 2 from Instruction/2 from SS
Faculty (4)include Academic Senate President or VP
Classified (4)2 from Instruction/2 from SS or Finance
A PROPOSED STRATEGIC PLAN - DRAFT
The following are proposed goals for 2012–2013. However, these goals may be adjusted or removed, based on the leadership and guidance of the equity advisory council. The following information should serve the council as a starting place for developing its roadmap and immediate deliverables.
Goal 1: Build the equity advisory council’s capability to execute a long-range college-wide equity and inclusion plan
Objective 1. Identify committed institutional stakeholders to serve on the equity council
Task 1. Confirm a mission, vision, goals, and objectives for the equity council
Task 2. Provide necessary capacity building or training to the advisory council
Objective 2. Design a research agenda focused on the goals and objectives of the equity council
Task 1. Form an equity research working group to develop a set of research questions focused on faculty, staff, and student satisfaction and institutional capacity
Task 2. Create and implement a plan to translate and disseminate research information
Goal 2: Support the increased capacity and cultural efficacy of administrators, faculty and staff
Objective 1. Identify critical needs and assist in developing educational and program initiatives
Task 1. Agree on a means for ongoing cultural humility and equity development and support (e.g., quarterly equity focused team building and development meeting)
Task 2. Develop and implement an annual cultural humility and equity training retreat for each division, etc.
Goal 3: Evaluation and re-envision of necessary programmatic processes and organizational protocol
Objective 1. Evaluate the current model of cultural “competence” development for administrators, staff and faculty
Task 1. Evaluate the process of supportive supervision and division equity plans for sustainability and measurable equity outcomes
Objective 2. Evaluate the current public documentation and presence for inclusive and equitable language; websites, information brochures, signage, etc
Task 1. Develop an inclusion/diversity policy and guiding protocol for evaluating campus image and communications
Task 2. Engage in a system-wide equity walk-thru
Objective 3. Evaluate the process of recruiting, supporting/mentoring, and graduating historically underrepresented or marginalized students
Task 1. Review of program successes, institutional integration and overall
division processes for closing the achievement gap
Task 2. Review and provide coaching on best practices in closing the achievement
Task 3. Identify critical needs and support strategies per division based on a review of
annual equity plans.
- Classism Working Group
- Lita Kurth (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- HEFAS Work Group
- Shaila Ramos (email@example.com)
- LGBTQQI Action Committee
- Julie Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Africana Action Committee
- Edmundo Norte (email@example.com)
- Women's Empowered Committee
- Marc Coronado (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Disability Issues and Concerns
- Kevin Glapion (email@example.com)
- Veteran Affairs
- Lishari Pasqua (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- White Allies Group
- AAPI Task Force
Equity Advisory Council Global New Entries