Why Study Journalism at De Anza College
De Anza College's Journalism and Mass Communication Department supports De Anza's core competencies in the following ways:
- Communication and expression: Students learn new rhetorical strategies and use their First Amendment rights to create and publish a newspaper, website and associated media.
- Information literacy: Students study and practice media literacy.
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility: Students work cooperatively in deadline situations and take on leadership roles
- Global, cultural, social and environmental awareness: Students learn to interview diverse people, interpret cultural and environmental issues and present their ideas clearly.
- Critical thinking: Students analyze ideas, create and test models, solve problems and evaluate alternatives as they work hands-on to produce print, digital and video content.