for Undocumented Immigrant Students
Q. What does it mean to be undocumented?
An undocumented person is a non-citizen who entered the United States without legal immigration status or who stayed after the period she or he was authorized to be here.
Q. If I am undocumented, can I go to college?
YES, if you are an undocumented student you can go to any college or university in California as long as you are admitted/accepted. To avoid paying out-of-state tuition, you must meet the AB540 requirements.
Q. How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?
In order to qualify for in-state tuition (at a public California college or university) under AB540, you must:
- Complete 3 years of high school in California
- Graduate or obtain the equivalent of a high school diploma
- Complete an AB540 affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) at the college/university that you will attend stating that you meet AB540 eligibility requirements. Non-resident students are required to pay “out-of-state” or “non-resident” tuition fees to attend California’s public colleges and universities. These fees are much higher.
Need the AB540 affidavit form?
- Go to the Registration forms page to download the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (AB540) form.
- Print and fill out form.
- Turn in the completed form to the Admissions and Records Office in the Student and Community Services Building.
De Anza College Your Guide: AB540 Guide for Undocumented Immigrant Students
Download Your Guide Version
California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540)
from other California public colleges and universities
Read about the procedures for applying for the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540) at other public colleges and universities in California, including California Community Colleges, University of California and California State University.
Financial Aid for Undocumented AB540 Students
All De Anza students are eligible to apply for scholarships regardless of status. Search for current scholarships and apply online at http://www.deanza.edu/financialaid/scholarship.html. Please contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions.
To find more information about what aid is available for undocumented AB540 students please refer to The California Dream Act on the De Anza College Financial Aid website.