Students may request that up to 45 units of De Anza coursework be disregarded (three consecutive quarters plus a summer session) and not calculated into their cumulative GPA (§ 55764 and 55765 of the California Administrative Code) when such work does not reflect their current ability. Only non-passing grades will be excluded from the cumulative GPA.
- See Foothill-De Anza Administrative Procedure 4240: Academic Renewal Regulations
Academic renewal at De Anza College does not guarantee that other colleges will accept this action, which is at the discretion of the transfer institution.
Approval of Academic Renewal requests is subject to the following conditions:
- Two academic years must have elapsed since the completion of the courses to be excluded.
- Since the last quarter to be considered for Academic Renewal, students must have completed at least:
15 units with a 3.0 GPA, or
30 units with a 2.5 GPA, or
45 units with a 2.0 GPA.
(Work completed at another institution may be considered in determining total units accrued.)
All work to be disregarded in the specific quarters will not be applied toward unit requirements or calculated into the GPA.
- Although none of the units completed in the affected quarters will be counted toward a degree, courses completed with grades of C, CR, or better may be used to satisfy major or general education requirements.
- Students may petition for academic renewal only once.
- Student transcripts reflect all work including that disregarded through academic renewal to ensure a true, complete academic history.
- Students cannot use academic renewal to qualify for honors at graduation.