PSME Office

Physical Sciences, Mathematics
and Engineering Division

Frequently Asked Questions

PSME Division Q & A

The registration system will not let me sign up for a class . . .

Q. I have not taken the prerequisite. Is there a way to still register for a course?

A. Take the appropriate Placement Test. This may qualify you for the course that you wish to take. The placement tests are taken at the Assessment Center in the Student Center.

Q. It says I am missing the prerequisite, but I think I have completed the equivalent. What should I do?

A. To verify that you have completed the prerequisite, bring the following to the PSME Division Office in S31:

  1. A copy of your college transcript (unofficial OK)
  2. A copy of the course description or the equivalent
  3. A Prerequisite Clearance Request Form with your name and contact information filled in.
Q. I had the course in High School. Does it count as a prerequisite?

A. High School courses are NOT equivalent to college courses and do not count as a  prerequisite. However, if you have taken the AP exam and received a score of 3 or higher, you may be eligible for college placement.

Bring the following to to the Division Office in S31:

  1. Proof of your AP exam score (Note: High School AP courses cannot be used for prerequisites, only AP exam results would be considered.
  2. A copy of the course description of the equivalent
  3. Prerequisite Clearance Request Form with your name and contact info filled in.
Q. I have taken the class and failed it twice. Can I retake it?

A. You will need to complete a General Petition (pdf) and submit it to Admissions and Records to enroll on the class for the third time and final time.


Building: S31
Contact: Cathleen Monsell
Phone: 408.864.8800

Last Updated: 7/11/17