Disability Information Student Handbook

Disability Information Student Handbook

Special Education Is Now Disability Support Programs & Services

The file /specialed/dish/section5/career.html has been replaced by /dsps/dish/section5/career.html. Please update your bookmarks/favorites list. If you are not automatically redirected to the new page in 15 seconds, use this link to get to Disability Support Programs & Services

Content below the horizontal line is no longer updated - DO NOT USE.

Section Five:  Campus and Community Life

Career, Transfer And Employment

It is helpful to start early exploring the potential careers that are compatible with your personal talents and interests. Early identification of possible career paths can help define and focus your educational planning and maintain your motivation. For assistance from campus resources, contact:


Programs on campus include
  • Cooperative Education/Work Study
  • NASA Ames Internship Program
  • Occupational Training Institute

University Transfer Planning

If you plan to transfer, use resources at the Transfer Center, meet with counselors for academic advisement, and attend college sponsored workshops. The web site for information is www.deanza.edu/depts/artictfr/transferplanning.html.

These suggestions can help you formulate your transfer plans:
  • Become familiar with general education course patterns, especially those that are required by the California State University and University of California systems. These are known by the acronyms, CSUGE (California State University General Education) and IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum). Commit to the one most appropriate for you and track your progress.
  • Settle on a major as early as possible and learn about the lower division preparation courses you need to complete prior to transferring.
  • Develop relationships with your instructors, so they are able to write recommendation letters for you.
  • Attend the college fair at De Anza to meet representatives from a number of universities.
  • Make a personal visit to any four-year colleges you are considering.
  • Contact the disability service office at any universities you are interested in. Visit the campus in person, if possible. Ask about services they offer and confirm documentation requirements and the eligibility process and time lines.

Disability Information Student Handbook Building:

Last Updated: 4/28/09