A.C.E. Conference Funds Guidelines 2013–2014
Conference funds, negotiated by A.C.E. and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District, provide opportunities for permanent classified and classified hourly staff to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. [Current Contract: Article 14.7 Travel and Conference Fund.] Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Examples of acceptable activities include:
- attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- attendance at on-campus workshops and seminars.
- visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.
Funds may be requested by written application to the Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds Committee. Interactive application forms may be downloaded and filled-in on your computer using Adobe Acrobat [other pdf viewing applications may not work properly]. Fill in the application using Acrobat Reader 8.0 or higher, as it will allow you to SAVE the form to your desktop, otherwise you will have to print your application before you close your document. http://www.deanza.edu/staffdev/conferences/pdf/ace_app.pdf
Do not use prior versions of this application as the information as the information requested changes.
Plan Far Ahead for International Travel Authorization!
Board Policy 4176 International Travel: The Board of Trustees recognizes that there is an occasional need for international travel to advance the purpose of the District. Except for the staff members employed within the Office of International Students and the Campus Abroad programs at FHDA, the Chancellor, in advance of the travel, must approve all international travel. The Chancellor shall submit a report to the Board of Trustees of all international travel approved under this policy.
Please allow several weeks to complete the approval process for international travel! To assist you with preparing your documents for the approval process there are several documents that you can review or access:
Instructions for Completing International Travel Authorization
International Travel Authorization Form
Criteria for Application Approval
In reviewing applications, the committee considers criteria such as:
- value to the individual in updating job skills relating to instruction, student services, or technology.
- value to the college in furthering current and future directions in curriculum, instructional methodology, telecommunications and technology, and student services.
- presenting or speaking at a conference.
- an effective plan for disseminating/implementing information and skills acquired.
2013-2014 Application Submission Deadlines
Conference funds must be approved prior to the date of activity.
Fall Quarter 2013
Submit Application Packet By:
- Tue., September 17 for the meeting on: Thu., September 26
- Tue., September 24 for the meeting on: Thu., October 3
- Tue., October 15 for the meeting on: Thu., October 24
- Tue., November 5 for the meeting on: Thu., November 14
Winter Qtr applications considered starting Nov 14, funding allowing
- Tue., November 26 for the meeting on: Thu., December 5
Winter Quarter 2014
Submit Application Packet By:
- Tue., January 7 for the meeting on: Thu., January 16
- Tue., January 28 for the meeting on: Thu., February 6
- Tue., February 18 for the meeting on: Thu., February 27
Spring Qtr applications considered starting Feb 27, funding allowing
ALL NCORE CONFERENCE applications need to be submitted by 2/18/14.
- Tue., March 11 for the meeting on: Thu., March 20
Spring Quarter 2014
Submit Application Packet By:
Summer applications are reviewed/awarded on an as-needed basis.
- Tue., April 8 for the meeting on: Thu., April 17
- Tue., April 29 for the meeting on: Thu., May 8
- Tue., May 20 for the meeting on: Thu., May 29
Summer applications considered starting May 29, funding allowing
- Tue., June 3 for the meeting on: Thu., June 12
- Awards for A.C.E. classified staff are limited per person for this conference fund in any academic year to (the total for one or more events):
A MAXIMUM OF $500 FOR:
- one-day activities less than 150 miles away from the campus, or
- multiple-day activities less than 75 miles away.
OR A MAXIMUM OF $1000 FOR
- one-day activities more than 150 miles away from the campus, or
- multiple-day activities more than 75 miles away.
- You may be eligible to apply for more than one award but you may not exceed the maximum in either category above or $1000 of combined awards. For example: if you are awarded $200 for a local event you would still be eligible to apply for $300 more for another local event or $800 more for a more distant event.
- Funds are allocated to defray in part costs associated with conference or workshop fees, transportation to the activity, parking fees, meals or per diem, and lodging.
- In order to ensure equitable funding throughout the year, funds are divided among summer/fall, winter, and spring quarters.
- Multiple applications to the same conference will be considered as a group and whenever possible should be submitted together.
Funds will be allocated for:
- The conference, workshop, or seminar fee.
- Airfare, or driving mileage to the event, from home or work, whichever is closest.
- Ground transportation, such as local public transportation, taxi or shuttle from airport to hotel, car rental.
- Meals/per diem. Estimate actual meal costs for your application, not to exceed the maximums: Breakfast - $10 per day, Lunch = $15 per day, Dinner = $30 per day.
- Lodging expenses if event is further than 75 miles away from the campus.
Funds will NOT be allocated for:
- Staff on Professional Development Leave.
- Probationary Staff.
- Enrollment in college or university credit courses. [Educational Assistance Funds are available from the District. See Appendix A in your union contract for an Education Assistance Form, or call District Human Resources for more information.]
- Conference application forms may be downloaded and filled-out from the Staff Development website at: www.deanza.edu/staffdev/conferences/pdf/ace_app.pdf. Call Mary Kay Englen at ext. 8322 if you have questions about completing the application.
- The original completed and signed application [no additional copies are needed] should be submitted to the Staff Development Office for forwarding to the Committee and should contain the following: all information clearly explained; one copy of the brochure, flyer, or program agenda showing conference and hotel fees; signature of the division dean, manager, or supervisor.
- When an application has been approved, the applicant is notified by memo and receives a trip voucher, Out-of-State Authorization Form (where applicable), and instructions for reporting expenses.
- Employees are responsible for paying for all conference fees and travel expenses. To be reimbursed for these expenses, applicants must submit all three of the following to the Staff Development Office within 45 days of the date on which the activity occurred:
- a completed and signed trip voucher (the Associate Vice President of Instruction's signature will be acquired by the Staff Development Office).
- original receipts made out to the attendee for conference fees, lodging, and transportation (receipts issued in someone else's name will not be reimbursed).
- a 1-2 page written summary of the conference.
Receipts for Personal Reimbursement
The District external auditors require original receipts and proof of payment to be turned in with your Trip Voucher for reimbursement of your approved expenses. Please make a copy of your receipts for your own records before turning them in with your Trip Voucher.
- Receipts for expenses paid by credit card must show your name, the completed transaction (showing a $0 balance), the credit card type, and for VISA credit card receipts, the first 4 or last 4 digits of the credit card number.
- Receipts for expenses paid by personal check must show "paid by check" or you may record "paid by check" and the check number on it, and initial it.
- Receipts for expenses paid with cash must show "paid in cash" or you may record "paid in cash" on the receipt and initial it.
Reimbursing your Department Budget for Approved Expenses
If your department has already paid for part or all of your approved conference expenses with a District purchasing card or Direct Pay Request, then the Staff Development Office will process the necessary paperwork to transfer the expense to the appropriate conference budget. You must obtain a copy of the financial expense showing that the expense has been charged to the department budget and turn that in at the Staff Development Office with the matching receipts for processing.