Office of the De Anza College Student Trustee
Jordan Eldridge

Press Release: December 21, 2007
Holiday (End of the Year) Letter

Dear Students, Faculty, Staff, and friends,

This is my official holiday letter to which I want to share some amazing adventures I have had this past year with insight of what being elected and working as the De Anza College Student Trustee has meant to me this year.

As most of you all know, I started the 2007 year off with my last 3 months as the Inter Club Council Chair of Programs. Being the ICC Chair of Programs was one of the most memorable times of my life. George Smith (ICC Chair), Monica Pen (ICC Chair of Finance) and I worked hard throughout the year (Spring 2006-Winter 2007) to promote Campus Clubs strengthening the Council from 45 active clubs to a whopping 70 active clubs. From being in charge of Club Day and the various ICC events throughout the year was a very tough yet rewarding experience. Especially being able to work with 2 other amazing people, and an advisor that we just adore, and meeting the many club members and officers and students who came to visit us in our ICC office.

After my term ended as ICC Chair of Programs, I set out to find a position where I could continue my services in representing the students of De Anza College and making sure their voice is heard.

In Spring of 2007, I decided to run for the highest and most influential Student leadership position at De Anza by running for the De Anza College Student Trustee, member of the Foothill De Anza Community College District Board of Trustees (Board of Education for the Foothill De Anza District). After successfully being elected to the position by the Students at De Anza, I set out to hit the floor running (by voting no to the Student Health fee increase during my first official meeting of the Board).

The swearing in ceremony was exciting and nerve racking because 1. My Grandparents, Father and Step Mother, Sister, and incoming DASB leadership, and a couple ICC officers were there to share the moment with me. 2. I swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California by swearing on the official California Oath. 3. I was nervous, because I have been used to working with peers as ICC Chair of Programs. Now I would be working closely with highly educated "Adults" in the Administration and Board of Trustees.

Another exciting moment that I had as Student Trustee was in August when I attended the Bay Area Democratic Central Committee Fundraising Dinner as a guest of Assemblyman Ira Ruskin with the Board of Trustees. I met the many Bay Area Democratic Assemblymen, State Senators, Congressmen, City and County Councils and Boards of Education. It was definitely an eye opening experience behind the scenes of a political life.

Also, right after Summer Quarter 07, my Grandfather suffered a serious stroke which has taken up a lot of my time helping around the house. He is doing better, though it is a long journey back to recovery. He is Currently attending Stroke Therapy Classes at Foothill College, which he really enjoys.

I have gone on many Conferences since becoming Student Trustee which have been great learning experiences. The Community College League of California put on a conference for all California Community College Student Trustees in August, I attended the California Community College Student Affairs Association Student Leadership Conference with the DASB in October, and the Community College League of California's annual conference in November. I also plan to attend the CCLC's legislative conference in January.

All wonderful learning experiences.

I have learned, as student trustee, how to communicate effectively with Trustees, Administration, elected officials, and students and have been learning how to handle difficult situations and effectively communicating with those that I may sometimes be in disagreement with.

At the end of November, I had a successful Hernia surgery which took me out of school for a couple of weeks until I was able to walk more comfortably, and also participated in the December 3rd Board of Trustees meeting through Teleconference (Phone) call. I am still sore but continue to feel better everyday.

I want to thank the many people who have helped me along my journey to make this School and District more student oriented and bring the voice of the students back into importance.

I wish that you all have a fun, relaxing, and safe winter break and holiday season and hope you all have a fun New years!

I will see you all at School, January 7th.

Jordan Eldridge
De Anza College Student Trustee
www.deanza.edu/studenttrustee
EldridgeJordan@fhda.edu

Updated 12/21/2007 by De Anza Student Activities Webmaster

Last Updated: 1/27/12