Build Your Faculty Website
This OmniUpdate Faculty Website Guide is designed to help you get your faculty website up and running as fast as possible.
As you work through this guide, you'll find links for Using OU Campus (on the left menu) with instructions for completing specific tasks, such as uploading a PDF and linking to it from a web page. We'll point you to the information you need to make a simple faculty website.
But first, request a faculty profile home page to get started with your website.
STEP 1 - REQUEST A FACULTY PROFILE
We've simplified our faculty website template with a profile page to get you started. See an example on the De Anza website.
- Complete the online request form. You'll receive an email confirmation of your request.
- Don't forget to email the Web Team at email@example.com with a profile photo to fit specific dimensions and your course greensheet(s) if you want those posted on your home page per the email confirmation. You can also select one of the Campus Shots for your profile image if you prefer.
- Once we've created your page, you'll get another email from the Web Team when the page is LIVE and and we've added a link to it from the Faculty Website Listing.
- STARTING SUMMER 2014: When you request a Faculty Profile page, you'll automatically receive an OmniUpdate (OU) user's account for edits to your faculty profile and so that you can create new pages for your course materials.
STEP 2 - DECIDE FORMAT FOR YOUR COURSE INFORMATION
Your OU account will allow you to create pages to link to from your faculty profile page. Before you get started creating new pages, consider how you want to display and distribute your course materials.
MYPORTAL COURSE STUDIO
Do you want your course material to be visible ONLY to enrolled students?
- If YES, then activate Course Studio inside MyPortal.
- You can start uploading materials today! You don't need to wait for your public faculty profile.
- Once your profile page is set up, you can create a course page pointing students to Course Studio for course materials.
PUBLIC FACULTY WEB PAGES
Do you want your course materials available to the public?
- If YES, then use your OU account to create faculty course web pages, linked from your home page left nav menu.
- You'll want to consider if you want just a single page for each class, or a subsection with multiple pages for each class.
- See Using OU Campus links for how to edit your profile page and complete other key tasks for creating and maintaining web pages.