Do you know how to speak Mandarin?
Do you know how many people speak Mandarin in the world?
Are you fascinated with Chinese culture?
Do you want to be able to communicate with your Chinese friends, business partners, spouses, etc.?
Do you know China is one of America's largest trading partners?
Please join us in the Mandarin Department to learn the dialects of the Chinese language.
- Mandarin is easy, fun and interesting.
- Chinese characters are unique in forms of art!
- Mandarin is important for your career!
- Mandarin is the first spoken language in the world!
- There are more than 1.3 billion people speaking Mandarin...
Mandarin is one of many world languages taught at De Anza. We provide a wide range of course levels to meet the needs of our students, including introductory and/or elementary sequences for all foreign languages offered, and intermediate and advanced courses for some.
If you have studied a language at another institution, to accurately assess your past instruction (and support your success in further Mandarin language study), we require a World Languages Prerequisite Clearance to register in MAND 2.
Please follow these general rules to decide which course level is best for you.
- One year of high school language is equal to one quarter of De Anza language. For example, if you took Mandarin 1 & 2 in high school, you can continue with Mandarin 3 at De Anza.
- Review the Mandarin course catalog and current schedule of classes (see links on left menu).
- See our Intercultural/International Studies Division Frequently Ask Questions page for more information about taking a language class at De Anza.
We also offer a Mandarin Skills Certificate.