Welcome to the De Anza College Music Department
The De Anza Music Department offers classes for everyone from beginners to music majors, from community members to general students. You can take day, evening, and online sections of courses that fulfill degree and transfer general education requirements and enrich your college experience.
- Enroll in comprehensive musicianship ("music theory" and musicianship) as the core of the lower division transfer and degree program.
- Join a vocal or instrumental performing group — band, orchestra, jazz, choirs, and more.
- Take a beginning instrument or voice class.
- Learn to read music and more in music fundamentals class.
- Create music in an Electronic Music class.
- Complete your AA Degree in Music and prepare for transfer to four-year music programs.
- Complete your Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) in Music (coming soon)
Winter 2017 Music Classes
The 2017 winter class schedule is available at the De Anza College website
and registration is now underway! Here are some highlights. All music department classes are open to all De Anza College students.
Vocal and instrumental performing groups — open to all De Anza students. We have a place for you even if it has been a while since you were in a group!
- 22947 MUSI020.61 DE ANZA CHORALE Glasman, Ilan D. M1830-1920 A11
- 23609 MUSI021.01 VINTAGE SINGERS Glasman, Ilan D. M 1130-1220 A11
- 23636 MUSI031.61 CHAMBER ORCHESTRA Tayerle, Loren R. Th 1930-2020 A31
- 23637 MUSI034.61 JAZZ ENSEMBLE Russell, John A. M 1630-1720 A31
- 23639 MUSI045.61 JAZZ COMBOS Russell, John A. M 1630-1720 A31
- 23640 MUSI048A61 JAZZ IMPROVISATION I Russell, John A. M 1830-1920 A31
- 23641 MUSI048B61 JAZZ IMPROVISATION II Russell, John A. M 1830-1920 A31
- 23642 MUSI048C61 JAZZ IMPROVISATION III Russell, John A. M 1830-1920 A31
De Anza Music Department classes for you!
Did you play in orchestra or band back in high school or middle school? Did you sing in choir or play in the jazz ensemble? Perhaps you are a guitar player? Ever start a band with your friends? Have you have always wanted to learn to play piano, sing, be a guitarist, read music, make music on your computer?
We offer an excellent program for music majors, but many of our classes are designed for all students. Most of the people taking De Anza College music classes are students like you who just want to make music an ongoing part of their lives. We invite you to join us and enroll in our classes and perform in our ensembles and become part of the De Anza College music community!
See the current class schedule at the De Anza College website for complete and up-to-date details about the current schedule. Not all listed courses are offered every quarter
Introduction to Music
Music 1 series classes fulfill humanities and arts general education (GE) transfer and degree requirements and some music transfer and certificate requirements. Many De Anza students take one of them to fulfill GE requirements:
- Music 1A: Introduction to Music: Western Cultures
- Music 1B: Introduction to Music: Jazz Styles
- Music 1C:Introduction to Music: World Music
- Music 1D:Introduction to Music: Rock
- Music 1E: Latin America and the Caribbean
Join one of our performance ensembles - they are open to all De Anza students!
- Music 20: De Anza Chorale
- Music 21: Vintage Singers
- Music 31: Chamber Orchestra
- Music 34 Jazz Ensemble
- Music 42: Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Music 45: Jazz Combos
- Music 48A, B, C: Jazz Improvisation I, II, III
Class sequences start at the beginner level, so you can learn to play an instrument or sing.
- Music 12A, B, C: Class Piano
- Music 13A, B, C: Beginning Singing
- Music 14A, B, C: Classical Guitar
- Music 9A, B, C: Jazz Piano
Comprehensive Musicianship Music Fundamentals
Comprehensive Musicianship (sometimes called "music theory") is the core two-year music major sequence preparing students to transfer as music majors/minors at the junior level. Each one-year sequence of Music 3ABC or Music 4ABC begins in the fall term and continues through the winter and spring terms.
Music Fundamentals is an introductory level course for students looking for basic skills in related areas and/or preparing to enroll in Comprehensive Musicianship. Students who complete Music Fundamentals may be able to join Music 3B: Comprehensive Musicianship in the winter term.)
- Music 10A: Music Fundamentals
- Music 3A, B, C: Comprehensive Musicianship I
- Music 4A, B, C: Comprehensive Musicianship II
An introductory class (Music 51) is offered every quarter for students who want to learn about using various technologies to produce music. An intermediate class (Music 8) is offered during the winter and spring terms. Visit the Electronic Music website for more information.
- Music 51: Introduction to Electronic Music
- Music 8: Intermediate Electronic Music