Welcome to the Environmental Studies Dept !
The mission of DeAnza’s Environmental Studies Department is two-fold:
- Educate a broad range of students on both environmental science and environmental issues via our 10 General Education (GE) course offerings.
- Train the next generation of environmental leaders and professionals via our certificate and degree offerings in 4 key areas.
With over 3500 students taking the nearly 200 class sections we offer each year, we are the largest environmental studies/science department in the California Community College system.
- Ten General Education (GE) courses, 5 in Environmental Studies (ES) and 5 in Environmental Science (ESCI).
- Transfer opportunities to colleges and universities that offer bachelor's degree programs in Environmental
Studies and Environmental Science, including:
- CSUs (San Jose State, San Francisco State, Sonoma State, CSU-East Bay and others)
- UCs (UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UC-Santa Cruz and others)
- Private schools (Santa Clara University, University of San Francisco and others)
- Associate Degrees and Certificates of Achievement in four majors:
Come Visit Us
We are housed in the beautiful Kirsch Center for Environmental Studies, a building designed to be an active living teaching/demonstration space for students to learn about environmental stewardship, pollution prevention, and energy and natural resource management. It is a LEED Platinum-certified green building, the first of its kind in the California Community College system.
Adjacent to the Kirsch Center is the Cheeseman Environmental Studies Area (the ESA), a unique 1.5 acre lush natural garden containing some 400 species of plants and trees representing the 12 major natural plant communities found in California (see the ESA Pictorial Story Map). Originally built by faculty and students, the ESA is now visited by several thousand school children, college students, conservation group members, and the general community annually.
Join us at the Kirsch Center to learn how we can forge an environmentally sustainable future for current and future generations!