Become an Inspector or Technician

There are two different smog licenses in the state of California. We have classes that will prepare you to  qualify for either one or both licenses.

  • Inspector

    As a licensed smog inspector, you 

    • Inspect and certify vehicles which require a Smog Check Inspection.
    • May not perform diagnosis/and or repairs to correct a smog check failure (unless you also posses a current Smog Check Repair Technician License).
    • May work as a licensed inspector in a licensed Test-Only or a Test-and-Repair station.


    You must complete both Level 1 and Level 2 training courses and pass the state licensing exam. No work experience is required.

    We Recommend:

    • AUTO 65P: Clean Air Course (Level 1 training)*
    • AUTO 65W: Advanced Clean Air Course (Level 2 training)

    *Experienced candidates may be eligible to skip the Level 1 training requirement if they possess current ASE A6, A8 and L1 certifications; or possess an associate degree in Automotive Technology and have one year of experience; or have two years of experience and have completed training as specified by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. Refer to the Bureau of Automotive Repair web site for current details.

  • Repair Technician

    As a licensed repair technician, you 

    • Perform diagnosis and repairs of smog check inspection failures.
    • Perform smog check repairs in a licensed Test-and-Repair or Test-Only station.
    • May not perform a Smog Check Inspection (unless you also posses a Smog Check Inspector License).


    You must have an associate degree (or higher) in automotive technology from a state accredited or recognized college, public school or trade school AND you must have one year of automotive repair experience in engine performance.

    We Recommend:

    Certain work experience, an associate degree in automotive technology, or current ASE certifications A6, A8 and L1 may qualify you for additional licensing options.

    For detailed licensing requirements refer to the Bureau of Automotive Repair licensing website.

    ASE exams are offered at ASE Test Centers. Register in spring, summer or fall at ASE certification requires two years of related work experience. Two years of auto tech training are equivalent to one year of work experience.

Back to Top